Thursday 9 October 2008

Bored of Selectors

'With the Test series starting, a question remains etched into the minds of the Board of Selectors, how long will they be able to keep playing the 'fab four' and get away with it? Ganguly has announced that he will soon be going, but I myself have become bored of the 'will they, won't they' questions that keep arising.

Will the board drop the cricketing untouchables (untouchable in a good way of course) if they are performing poorly? Will they give youth a chance? Or are they allowing these players to make the choice as to when they go? I know how I would have it, but then again I am not a superpower within the Indian cricketing world. If a player is performing badly, then of course, their position should be considered, however, if this would involve taking a gamble on a totally unproven player then perhaps this risk is too much to bare. In this instance, I actually feel that the selection of Ganguly for this series and in the line-up is justified. The only other alternative in the squad was Badrinath, an inexperienced player at this level.'

I wrote this before the series began thinking that I would leave it and see how the 'fab four' performed as the series went on. And I have not been disappointed. Ganguly has thus far proven a very worthy member of the squad and I am glad that he will be able to go on his terms with a century to be remembered by. Dravid has not found the best form of his career but he put in that gutsy fifty in the first Test. Sachin is now the holder of more records than I can count and scored some vital runs in the first innings of this second Test. V.V.S has been the most disappointing, and it was V.V.S who I thought would outshine the rest! Shows the difference that ten days can make.

No comments: